Over the last few months I have really got into cooking with Jackfruit it is such a versatile ingredient. It’s basically an organic super fruit containing A,B and C vitamins as well as calcium, protein, iron, magnesium, potassium & fibre. Fantastic whatever diet you are following. It can be used in curries, chillies, burgers, fajitas this is a Jackfruit curry recipe that I like to cook. This is my take on a recipe that I found.
I make this in a big pot on the stove and let it simmer gently for up to an hour it makes a fab meal and is also great re-heated the next day. I grow my own vegetables so I use them in this recipe.
- One tin of Biona Organic Jackfruit
- Half Tsp Mustard Seeds
- One tsp Oil
- Half tsp fennel seeds
- Half tsp Cumin Seeds
- Half tsp Nigella Seeds
- Tsp Of Chilli Powder (More if your stomach can handle a little more spice)
- Half tsp Turmeric
- Quarter tsp Black peppercorns
- Pinch of salt
- One tsp corriander
- One tsp cinnamon
- One tin of passata
- One tsp of Ginger paste
- Two tsp of Garlic paste
- One small onion chopped
- One can of coconut milk
- Fresh Lemon Balm
- Fresh Corriander
- One pepper diced
- 8-10 Cherry tomatoes
- Drain & rinse the Jackfruit place in a large bowl and shred with a knife and fork set aside.
- Add all your seeds and peppercorns into a pestle and mortar give them a good bashing then add the turmeric, chilli powder, ground coriander, cinnamon. Give it a good mix up with a spoon.
- Heat the oil in a large pan add your onion & soften on a low heat.
- Add your diced pepper ginger & garlic paste followed by the spice mix and pinch of salt.
- Cook for a minute to ensure all the spices are Infused with the onion, garlic and ginger.
- Add the passata to the pan heat through gently.
- Add your shredded Jackfruit to the sauce and cook on a low heat for 45 mins if the curry is starting to thicken to much add a couple of tbsp of water
- After 45 mins remove from heat add your cherry tomatoes your coconut milk and lemon balm return to the heat simmer for a further 5-10 mins top with the coriander leaves then serve with a bowl of Basmati Rice.